Wild Larder Series: Dandelion
Unfortunately, Internet Explorer is an outdated browser and our website uses shiny new features that this browser does not currently support. To have the best browsing experience, please upgrade to Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Safari.
Looking for a healthy, delicious alternative to sugary Christmas treats? Our Apricot and Orange Raw Energy Balls are tasty, nutrient dense and super easy to make.
We love these delicious energy balls. They are often served as a snack on retreats and are a favourite at any time of day. Whats more, you can roll them in different toppings to enhance their flavour. As it's the festive season, we've used organic desiccated coconut, cacao and cranberry power for a mix of colours and flavours. You could also a mixture of different seeds.
100g sunflower seeds
25g golden flax seeds
Grated rind of 1 orange
Juice of ½ orange
3-4 drops of orange oil – more to taste if required
¼ teaspoon sea salt flakes
135g dried apricots
2 tablespoons maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener if preferred)
115g rolled oats – use gluten free if required
50g desiccated coconut
50g cranberry power
30g coconut blossom sugar
30g cacao powder
1. Place sunflower seeds in a blender and mix until they are blended to a butter. Next the add flax seeds, grated orange rind, orange juice, orange oil and salt and pulse until incorporated.
2. Add in the apricots and maple syrup, pulse again until apricots are chopped into small pieces and a sticky mass is formed. Add the oats and pulse until incorporated.
3. Taste the mixture it may need a touch more salt or orange oil. It should be sticky enough to form into balls, if it’s too dry add a little more orange juice or if it’s too wet add a sprinkling of oats until the consistency is right.
4. Roll into balls of the required size as you roll them they will warm up and are then easy to roll in the festive toppings.
5. We make them into 20-22g balls before rolling them in our toppings. Desiccated coconut for snow balls, cranberry power for Rudolph's nose and a delicious combination of cacao powder and coconut sugar for chocolate.
Makes 20 balls. Perfect for gifting and sharing with friends.
Make them even more festive using spices, such as ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon or mixed spice.